Saturday, December 20, 2008

Trip to Itaipu

Asuncion, across the river lies the Chaco, where I live
Asuncion from the top of the Hotel Excelsior where I attended an UNESCO/Itaipu conference about Education and Water


Asuncion



Asuncion
Our teeny tiny Christmas tree in my house.
Senior photo, anyone?
Cristina, the seƱora with whom I live





















Monday Falls. (Pronounced Mon-da-uh (guttural)). It means the Neighborhood Waterfall in Guarani.














Leopard















Puma, aka mountain cougar?













Close to the dam there is a zoo of animals indigenous to the Itaipu / Alto Parana region. Here is a monkey. He moved so fast I couldn't get a good photo of him.



















Hi Brazil.











Me in the rain. Unfortunately the day we (me and an 8th grade class from my town) went to Itaipu, the dam was closed. Usually it is much more impressive because there would be massive amounts of water flowing behind me. You wouldn't see hardly any concrete. Just water.







That green land on the other side is Brazil


Itaipu dam, the largest dam in the world, at least until Three Gorges Dam in China is finished. It generates more electricity than any other dam in the world. It has 16 turbines.
Two of my neighbors

Tajy tree across the street from the municipality

1 comment:

  1. YAY! More phots. What amazing sites! I cannot believe you are on the other half of the world! Miss you like crazy.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete